Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Masterclass in Mokume
Mokume Gane is a traditional Japanese technique of fusing ferrous (steel) and non ferrous (copper, brass, nickel, silver, gold) metals to create beautiful multicoloured patterns for use in jewellery, knifemaking and sculpture
Learn how to develop a billet (block) of mokume and how to achieve the pattern you desire in the finished piece. Students will learn how to fuse the different metal components so that they remain together and how to forge the billet at high temperature to produce a pattern.
To allow for close supervision, this intensive course has a small class size of 4 students.
You will get
- A piece of jewellery, a pendant or ring made from your own Mokume
- Eye, ear and hand protection will be provided, however feel free to bring your own if you prefer.
- Fusing a billet of Mokume with correct temperature and setup
- Forge welding with use of a press
- Revealing and developing the pattern using forging and stock removal techniques
- A beautiful piece of Jewellery
- Lunch and morning tea
- All materials included
Cclothing appropriate for a workshop. This includes long pants and sleeves preferably natural fibre, solid shoes/boots.
Anyone with an interest in learning how to make jewellery or other creative pieces from Mokume